A hundred years of Gladstone Road Schools
The booklet was published in 1990 to commemorate the Centenary of Scarborough’s Gladstone Road Schools.
It has been reproduced in PDF format for the web site and includes all the adverts from the original publication. It has been split into sections listed below for ease of viewing.
A Thousand Faces:
A Celebration of the Millennium at Gladstone Road Schools
The booklet was published in 2000 as a celebration of Gladstone Road Infant and Junior Schools.
The schools are situated close to the centre of Scarborough and serve an area which was primarily developed during the late nineteenth century to provide homes for those involved in the developing Tourist Industry.
Opened in June 1890 the design was revolutionary at the time. The Scarborough Gazette described it as producing ‘the most satisfactory impression desirable. The rooms are large, lofty and airy….’ Each
room was designed to accommodate between forty and seventy five pupils.
Throughout its history the Infant School as always been an Infant school whereas the Junior School building has been used for both junior and secondary education.
It has been reproduced in PDF format for the web site and has been split into sections listed below for ease of viewing.
- A Brief Millennium History of the Gladstone Road School Area
- A History of the Infant School through its Headteachers
- A Selection Of Junior School Headteachers
- Photographs of the Infant & Junior Schools 1950’s to 1994 (coming soon)
- The Gladstone Memorial
- The Secondary School Before, During and After World War Two (coming soon)